August 12, 2015

Take Refuge



As I've shared in a couple of the previous posts, I've been discouraged which has caused me to feel weary of my current reality, so of course I decided to combat those feelings with an afternoon paddle since today was so sunny with comfortable temperatures.

Despite the sun and great temps, it was a windy day on the water. I had a very strong head wind I kept having to fight while also paddling against the current upstream. So, I decided to take a little break from my battle with the wind by paddling inside one of the coves along the riverside. I knew the cove would shield me from the strong winds and be a temporary escape from them. I was right.

Once I was back there, everything became so quiet and peaceful. I had to slow down my pace since there were many tree branches and roots in the water to maneuver around. The peace and beauty inside that cove was awesome. I could actually see the fish in the water. Different kinds and all very large. I also was able to see more turtles in the water than I do in the actual river.

I went as far back into the cove as I could get before fallen trees blocked my path. Once I reached that point. I just laid down on my board and soaked in all the peace and beauty. It reminded me of the many scriptures in the Psalms that refer to God as a refuge, a place of protection and a place of solitude. Here I could get the quiet I needed to relish in some of God's beauty and be protected from the harsh winds of reality.

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.

Show me the wonders of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes.

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

How abundant are the good things that you have stored up for those who fear you, that you bestow in the sight of all, on those who take refuge in you.

Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.

I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.

The righteous will rejoice in the Lord and take refuge in him; all the upright in heart will glory in him!

Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.

But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.

I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”


No comments:

Post a Comment